Read the Patient Information that comes with LIPITOR before you start taking it and each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This Web page does not take the place of talking with your doctor about your condition or treatment. If you have any questions about LIPITOR, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Who Should Not Take LIPITOR?
Do not take LIPITOR if you:
- Are pregnant or think you may be pregnant, or are planning to become pregnant. LIPITOR may harm your unborn baby. If you get pregnant, stop taking LIPITOR and call your doctor right away
- Are breast feeding. LIPITOR can pass into breast milk and may harm your baby
- Have liver problems
- Are allergic to LIPITOR or any of its ingredients. The active ingredient is atorvastatin.
Possible Side Effects of LIPITOR
LIPITOR can cause serious side effects. These side effects have happened only to a small number of people. Your doctor can monitor you for them. These side effects usually go away if your dose is lowered or LIPITOR is stopped.
These serious side effects include:
- Muscle problems. LIPITOR can cause serious muscle problems that can lead to kidney problems, including kidney failure. You have a higher chance for muscle problems if you are taking certain other medicines with LIPITOR.
- Liver problems. LIPITOR can cause liver problems. Your doctor may do blood tests to check your liver before you start taking LIPITOR, and while you take it.
Call your doctor right away if:
- You have muscle problems like weakness, tenderness, or pain that happen without a good reason, especially if you also have a fever or feel more tired than usual
- You have allergic reactions including swelling of the face, lips, tongue, and/or throat that may cause difficulty in breathing or swallowing, which may require treatment right away
- You experience nausea and vomiting
- You pass brown or dark-colored urine
- You feel more tired than usual
- Your skin and whites of your eyes get yellow
- You have stomach pain
- You have an allergic skin reaction
In clinical studies, patients reported the following common side effects while taking LIPITOR:
- Upset stomach
- Muscle and joint pain
- Alterations in some laboratory tests
The following additional side effects have been reported with LIPITOR:
- Tendon problems
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have side effects that bother you or that will not go away. These are not all the side effects of LIPITOR. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for a complete list.
Before You Start LIPITOR
Tell your doctor if you:
- Have muscle aches or weakness
- Drink alcohol daily
- Have diabetes
- Have a thyroid problem
- Have kidney problems
Some medicines should not be taken with LIPITOR. Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, or herbal supplements LIPITOR and certain other medicines can interact causing serious side effects. Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicines, especially those for:
- Your immune system
- Birth control
- Heart failure
- HIV or AIDS
Know all the medicines you take. Keep a list of them with you to show your doctor and pharmacist.